Monday, July 2, 2007

The first weekend

My first weekend in Buenos Aires was great, although relatively low-key. I'm still adjusting to the time change (four hours ahead), and while it's not that different, I find myself not being able to sleep until 5am since I normally go to bed around 2 or 3 in Seattle. It will take a few more days, but after the stress of moving and traveling the rest is well-deserved, I say.

On Saturday I went to Avenida Florida with my friend Mariano to buy a cell phone and walk around. Avenida Florida is the central downtown strip for tourist shopping in Buenos Aires and it's pedestrian-only. Often there is live tango dancing and other street entertainers, including music and mimes and the like. You never know what you'll see!

Yesterday I took the subte (the subway system in Buenos Aires) to San Telmo, a historical neighborhood in BsAs, and visited the street fair that is held each Sunday on Avenida Defensa. Last year I lived in San Telmo with my host family, so it all felt very familiar and I really enjoyed the street fair atmosphere. I'm sure I'll be going back, so I'll post some photos later on.

My friend Tasha arrives tomorrow and it will be nice to have a tourist buddy. It's a blast hanging out with my friends, but sad to say they aren't terribly interested in exploring their own culture. It will be nice to have a fellow tourist to share my experiences with!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mariano y yo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home