Monday, July 9, 2007

Snow in Buenos Aires?? Jamás!

I think I am finally recovering after a week of severe insomnia, but unfortunately I don't have much to say because of this. Yesterday I went to a café in Recoleta to watch the Argentina vs. Peru fútbol match for the Copa America, and of course, Argentina won 4-0. The excitement was intense, so I can only imagine what the mood would be like during a close game.

The exciting news is that it's snowing in Buenos Aires for the first time since 1918. Snow is so rare that everyone is freaking out and sending me text messages to let me know just how strange this weather is. Apparently I am to blame for bringing this winter snow! :-) It doesn't seem to be sticking, but the sight of it falling is a wonder for many Porteños who have never seen snow before.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(The view of the snow falling on the garden outside our apartment bedroom window.)

Today is 9 de julio, or Independence Day in Argentina. I have been asking around to see what kind of festivities happen in the city, but because it's the middle of winter nobody really does anything special. It's a day to rest, eat asado and just be with the family.

This week my goal is to find a language school to take classes for a couple weeks. I wasn't really planning on studying, but I think it will be a good idea so that I have the opportunity to meet some new people with the same level of Spanish, or relatively close to mine. I have some really great native friends who love to help me and chat it up, but I think it will be good to study with a group and develop a little more of a routine for some time each day. There are almost countless language schools in this city and it's difficult to decide which one to go to because they're all about the same price. That is, except for the one I went to last year. It's the most expensive by far, and sadly I can't afford to go there again. I had a great experience with them last year, but my budget is much more of a factor this year.

I haven't been very active so I don't really have any photos to share yet. I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine in Seattle while I am witnessing history with the snow here.

Un beso, chau!

1 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home